Saturday, October 26, Haviland Club in Charlottetown, PEI.
This workshop is suitable for both newly-minted freelance writers and seasoned journalists who want to expand their portfolio. Aside from exploring magazine and corporate writing opportunities, participants will also pick up tips on managing the business end of things from how to negotiate and figure out what your time is worth, to how to manage work flow and keep track of things.
AM session: Expanding your freelance portfolio
- Writing opportunities in the magazine world + hidden markets (trade journals and niche publications)
- analyzing periodicals
- queries that work
- finding different angles for same topic or subject
- Writing opportunities in the corporate world
- review sample advertorials, ads, brochures, newsletters etc.
- how to find clients
- how to partner with other professionals to offer full-meal deal (translation services, graphic design etc.) to corporate clients
PM session: Becoming business savvy as a freelance writer
- Organizing your workflow
- How to figure out what you time is worth and if you are making money (or not) on assignments or projects
- How to keep track of things: using query/client tracker, sending invoices, tracking invoices/payments etc.
- Dealing with non payment issues: filing a judgment in Small Claims Court and how best to prepare
- When is the right time to register for HST? Pro’s and con’s
- Negotiating tips
- Marketing tools (portfolio, website or blog, testimonials, business cards, etc.)
- Networking tips
Workshop fee is $125
For information or to register, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org